When it comes to coming up with ideas for 70s fancy dress there really is so much source material for you to work with. Indeed, the 1970s was a rich decade in terms of what it gave us- fantastic films, music and television programmes that have gone on to inspire new generations. So, without further ado here is my list of top ideas for dressing up for a seventies themed party:
1. Elton John Costume- There is no doubt in my mind that Elton was the King when it came to 70s pop music. Along with his lyricist Bernie Taupin, Elton was responsible for some of the finest tunes to emerge from the decade, including ‘Rocket Man’, ‘Daniel’ and ‘Your Song’. He was of course also noted for his outrageous costumes and even more outrageous glasses! If you love his flamboyant style check out this Elton John costume.
2. Saturday Night Fever Costume- My all time favourite 70s film. Not only did it launch the career of megastar John Travolta but it also helped popularise disco music and disco dancing. Who can forget the disco-tastic dance moves that old John-boy pulled off in this movie. If you fancy recreating these bad boy moves take a look at our John Travolta Costume.
3. Abba Costume-Another amazing pop group. With their catchy anthemic songs, charming lyrics, and outrageous outfits Abba were absolutely massive in the 1970s the world over. It’s a measure of just how important this band was that the film ‘Mamma Mia’ became the world wide sensation it did a few years back.
4. Kiss Costume- Another huge band, Kiss were noted as much for their antics and over-the-top costumes as they were for their brand of theatrical rock music! Kiss Costumes are not for the faint of heart, but if you like to make a statement it’s a truly great choice of outfit!
5. Cat Suit Costume- One of the greatest gifts that the seventies gave us, in terms of fashion, was the cat suit. This tight fitting costume helped to make the disco style even more popular, and is rightfully an enduring symbol of the 1970s scene.
6. Disco Lothario- One of my favourite new costumes. This outfit recreates the look of the sleazy older guy trying to be hip and cool. A really different and fun costume to wear!
7. Ron Burgundy Costume- Although Anchor Man is a relatively recent film it helped to recreate the vibe of the 1970s. And whilst has a whole list of faults (sexist, prejudiced etc) he is also charming and multi-talented (check out his flute playing!) If you’re a big Ron fan then why not dress up as him for the party?
I do hope that this has given you some food for thought. As you can see there are so many ideas for 70s fancy dress, and we have barely scratched the surface of the characters and people you could dress up as!